Today marks the 40th Earth Day! I think Earth day is a great way to spread the word about certain issues in our society, however, we should be doing these things everyday, not just today!
However, it is a good way to raise awareness. There are loads of events going on all over the country today and this weekend. Check out this site for more information if you want to get involved.
I have been trying to do my part to become greener, and to lessen my carbon footprint. Even though I can definitely do more, I am happy with my steps thus far. It will only improve over time!
Check out the things I do to reduce my carbon footprint:
- Use green cleaning products.
- Joined a CSA to buy seasonal local produce and help out local farmers.
- No longer use any plastic bags at the grocery store, or ziplocks to store/transport food in. Instead, I use reusable bags and small glass containers.
- Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins and paper towels.
- Recycle everything that we can – paper, glass, etc.
- Use energy efficient light bulbs, and only leave lights on that we need.
- Use enery efficient appliances and try to only do laundry and run the dishwasher when we have full loads.
- Turn the heat/AC off/down when sleeping or leaving the house. We try not to use AC because we much prefer open windows!
- Walk to local shops/grocery store when we can.
- Reduced my intake of meat (for other reasons as well).
- Use reusable water bottles and mugs, and try not to buy bottled water, except when needed.
- Eat clean food, which reduces the amount of packaged products we buy!
- Buy in bulk (with resuable bags), which also reduces packaging – and it is cheaper!
Seeing that all on paper makes me pretty proud of myself! What types of things do you do to be more green?
Enough about being green – onto the eats!
In the spirit of Earth Day, I started my day with some green eats.
Into my smoothie went 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 container of plain yogurt (to use it up), 1 banana, 1 tbsp ground flaxmeal, 1/2 packet Chocolate Amazing Meal, 2 handfuls fresh spinach.
I know a lot of people think I am crazy for drinking these green smoothies so much, however, you would be amazed how much they help. For one, they allow me to get some more greens into my diet which have been helping make my nails stronger, my hair shinier and my skin clearer – sounds like a good thing to me. And, second – they taste delicious! You would be surprised. 🙂
I am heading down to NYC on the train this afternoon, so I packed lunch and snacks for the trip.
- 1/2 pita pocket with spinach, feta cheese and Sunshine veggie burger
- apple and banana
- homemade tropical granola bar (recipe to come)
- Wallaby Chocolate Yogurt
It is highly unlikely that I will eat all of this, but I like to be prepared! You never know what could happen. 🙂
Have a great sunny day!