I love Friday nights at home! It is great to just be able to eat dinner and relax after a long week. Last night, i celebration of our first Friday night at home in months, we decided to make some homemade BBQ chicken pizza for dinner.
We started with store bought whole wheat pizza dough, since we didn’t decide on our plan early enough to make our own. It is tough to find pre-made dough without tons of ingredients in it, but surprisingly the dough I picked up at Hanaford’s only had 4 ingredients: whole wheat flour, water, salt and yeast! Perfect!
Brant stretched out the pizza dough to perfection. 🙂
Regular old tomato sauce from a can was added to the dough, after it was pre-cooked a bit.
I like a lot of cheese on my pizza, so for this creation I sprinkled on some cheese before and after the toppings! First up, was some shredded mozzarella.
Next up were grilled chicken and caramelized red onions. The chicken was seasoned with essence, grilled in our stove top grill pan, and then cut into small stips. The onion was chopped up and sauteed in a little olive oil and a teaspoon of cane sugar.
Then came more cheese! We used a mexican blend, along with more mozzarella to sprinkle over the toppings. Ok, so it may have been more of a sprinkle!
We then drizzled Annie’s BBQ sauce on top. I like Annie’s because they use all natural ingredients. Many of the bottled BBQ sauce on the shelves has bad oils in it.
Then, it was ready for the pre-heated oven. We placed the pizza onto our pizza stone, and popped it in the oven for 20 minutes at 400°F.
While we were waiting, we enjoyed some cocktails! Brant stuck with an ice cold beer, while I tried out our new Sweet Tea vodka!
Mixed with seltzer water and a squeeze of lemon juice. Tasted just like ice tea with lemon. Not too sweet at all. Yum!
After 20 minutes, our pizza masterpiece was done! The cheese was hot and bubbly and the crust was perfectly browned. We enjoyed a few slices each.
I wasn’t sure about the amount of BBQ sauce, but it was perfect!
The great thing about homemade pizza is that you can use whatever toppings you want! I made sure to buy an extra dough and more toppings for a veggie pizza sometime this week!
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Whole wheat pizza dough (store bought, or make your own!)
- 1/2 small can of Tomato Sauce
- 1-1.5 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mexican blend cheese
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 medium red onion, carmelized
- 1/2-1 cup Annie’s BBQ sauce (or any brand you desire)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out pizza dough on pizza stone; brush edges with a little olive oil.
- Pre-cook crust for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season chicken with herbs, salt and pepper and cook. Once done, cut into strips.
- Chop red onion and saute with salt, olive oil and sugar to caramelize.
- Once dough is pre-cooked, remove from oven and cover with tomato sauce.
- Add 1/2 of mozzarella cheese, then chicken and onion.
- Cover toppings with rest of mozzarella cheese, then mexican cheese.
- Drizzle BBQ sauce over cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Pizza is such a simple and delicious meal to make! I could eat it all the time because I love it so much, but I try to plan special nights like this in order to enjoy it even more!