I made a great dinner tonight! I am finding that I am getting much better and more comfortable at putting together my own recipes. This one tonight turned out great!
But first, I snacked on some dried mango slices (no sugar added) on my commute home.
Sometimes I need a small snack to keep from eating everything in sight when I get home! This helps me make it while I cook dinner.
For dinner I made Black Bean Veggie Burgers with Garlicky Greens. I just kind of threw some things together to make the burger. Here is what I came up with:
Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chile pepper
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 3 tbsp cilantro hummus
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Then chop up the onion, celery and garlic. Saute them in a little olive oil until cooked through.
2. Then add the spices and mix.
3. Mix together the cooked veggies, rinsed black beans and oats.
4. Then stir in the hummus.
5. Form into 3 patties and bake for 20 minutes.
Garlicky Greens (from 101cookbooks.com)
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- fine grain sea salt
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (opt)
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Tear kale into small pieces, rinse and dry.
- Add the olive oil, salt and kale to a pan and cook until wilted.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook a few minutes more.
- Turn off heat and toss with Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes.
- Serve immediately
The black bean burgers and sauteed kale made a great dinner! Unfortunately, I realized after I got home that we didn’t have any bread, so I served the burger ‘naked’.
With a side of the greens and plantain chips.
And a side of cilantro/roasted red pepper hummus.
It was a delicious meal. The burger was not overly moist, but definitely not dry. I really liked it!